For particular products, services or features that require your personal data, vivo will provide specific privacy terms before data collection. You will have a chance to view the related information before using these features or review such information at any time.
1. Terms and definitions
Controller means the natural or legal person or other organisation which, alone or jointly with others, determines the purposes and means of the processing of personal data.
2. Legal grounds for the processing of personal data
vivo will process your personal data only where there are legal grounds to do so. Depending on the circumstance, those grounds include the following:
- (a) Consent: You have provided your consent to the processing of your personal data.
- (b) Contract: The processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract.
- (c) Legal obligations: The processing of your personal data is required by applicable laws.
- (d) Legitimate interests: The processing of your personal data is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, in consideration of your interests, rights or reasonable expectation.
- (e) Other circumstances stipulated by applicable laws.
3. Categories of personal data that we collect
vivo will only collect necessary personal data, which may include the following categories depending on the products or services you choose to use. You can also view details related to personal data processing in Settings of the relevant service.
(a) Registration and account information
Your registered account with vivo or other accounts that can be used in vivo services and its related details, including the account ID, email address, phone number and other related information.
(b) Identity information
Such as name, age and gender.
(c) Contact information
Including phone numbers, email addresses, residential addresses, social accounts or other contact details.
(d) Device information
We may collect device-related information from you if you access our services through a mobile device. Such information includes the country/region code of your device, device model, software version, device location, IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity), eMMC ID (embedded multimedia card ID), UFS ID (universal flash storage ID), SIM and IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identity), GAID (Google Advertising ID), GUID (Global Unique Identifier), serial number or other unique identifiers of the device/module, CPU information, hardware information such as configuration and parameters of the screen, mobile carrier, customisation information, language and other settings, app information and other necessary information that may relate to the mobile device you use.
(e) Network information
Such as IP address, network type and network connection status.
(f) Log information
Information about your use of our products or services, such as the time and duration of your use of the services, authorisation records, product interactions, crash records and diagnostic data.
(g) Transaction information
Information related to the transaction process of product and service orders, shipping, returns/exchanges, refunds, reviews and invoicing.
(h) Other information you voluntarily provide
The information you voluntarily provide to us for participating in vivo activities, interacting with vivo or improving your personal file, such as the content you interact with us on our social media.
4. Purposes of our processing of personal data
vivo may process your personal data to fulfil the following purposes:
(a) Providing required software-related services
We process collected personal data to (i) provide, maintain, improve, protect and develop all of our services, products and content; (ii) send notices to you of our software updates, policy updates or other information that we believe may be important to you; (iii) troubleshoot device or app errors, identify abnormal problems and diagnose and repair; (iv) determine the compatibility of devices and software, and provide customised products or services.
(b) Carrying out necessary internal audits, data analysis and service evaluation
We use aggregate usage information to analyse service performance, compile reports or conduct evaluations, such as service satisfaction evaluations, product usage statistics and product sales statistics, in order to provide our customers with better products and services, and optimise our resources and its management.
(c) Conducting sales and customer support services
We may use your personal data to (i) process your transactions; (ii) administer promotional activities such as sweepstakes, contests or other similar events; or (iii) provide customer support services, such as conducting repairs, interacting with you via the call centre, online chat or email, or responding to your enquiries.
(d) Business security and risk control
We process collected personal data to ensure the security of our service systems, prevent unauthorised access or cyber attacks, improve our loss prevention and anti-fraud programs, identify risks to your service account and keep your account secure.
(e) Personalised services and marketing information
When you choose to enable the personalised services where they are available, we may analyse your usage habits and preferences based on your usage data, and create tagged group user profiles to show you content or advertisements of possible interest to you, thus optimising the product service experience. With your express consent, we may also send you marketing communications (if you do not wish to receive such communications, you may unsubscribe at any time). We will only send you marketing materials for which you have previously given express consent to receive such communications. We will ensure that all electronic marketing communications include a method that allows you to unsubscribe from such communications.
(f) Compliance with legal obligations
We process collected personal data to comply with applicable law or a lawful governmental request, such as retaining transaction information, and satisfying tax or reporting obligations.
5. How long we keep your personal data
- (a) The duration for which the personal data is used to provide you with a service;
- (b) Your request, or obligations under a contract with you;
- (c) Regulatory or legal obligation.
When it is no longer necessary to retain your personal data, or if deletion is requested, we will delete related personal data that we hold about you from our systems within the shortest possible period permissible under law. However, we may continue processing your personal data if we have other legal grounds or if we are obliged to maintain necessary records for legal, financial, compliance or other reporting obligations.
6. How we share your personal data
Personal data may be shared under the following circumstances:
(a) Entrusted processing
(b) Service provision and statistics
In order to ensure the provision of specific features to you, or to complete the statistics and settlement of advertising services, we may provide your personal data to the corresponding service providers or others designated by you, including advertising companies, logistics companies, online service providers, e-commerce platforms, third-party technical service providers and mobile operators. We will list the relevant third-party information and data we provided in our service-specific privacy terms. We require data recipients to comply with applicable data protection laws and to take necessary and reasonable measures to protect your personal data.
(c) Legal compliance
We may be required to disclose your personal data by local judicial or governmental authorities, agencies or as mandated under applicable laws.
(d) Change of control
In the event of any actual or prospective merger, restructuring or sale, vivo may need to provide your personal data to related third parties.
7. Your rights
We respect your privacy and rights. You have rights with respect to your personal data in accordance with applicable data protection legislation. In order to exercise your rights specified in the following section, you may send your request by visiting our Privacy Support. We will respond to your request without undue delay. Upon request, we will confirm whether we hold or are processing information that we have collected from you. In certain circumstances, we will not be able to fulfil your request, such as if it interferes with our legal obligations, it affects our anti-fraud program, we cannot verify your identify, it may harm the interests or rights of others or it involves disproportionate cost or effort. But in any event, we will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe and provide you with an explanation. Please note that we may keep a record of your communications.
You may exercise the following rights by contacting us:
(a) Right to object
This right enables you to object to us processing your personal data where we do so for one of the following reasons:
- for the sake of our legitimate interests;
- to enable us to perform a task in the public interest or exercise official authority;
- to send you direct marketing materials; or
- for scientific, historical, research or statistical purposes.
(b) Right to withdraw consent
Where we have obtained your consent to process your personal data for certain activities (for example, for marketing), you may withdraw this consent at any time. We will then cease to use your personal data and delete your personal data within a reasonable time period, unless we are required by law to continue processing your personal data, in which case we will inform you of this basis.
(c) Right to access
You may ask us for details of the information we hold about you at any time, and request us to modify, update or delete such information.
If we provide you with access to the information we hold about you, we will not charge you for this unless permitted by law. If you request further copies of this information from us, we may charge you a reasonable administrative cost.
(d) Right to erasure
You have the right to request that we "erase" your personal data in certain circumstances. Normally, this right exists where:
- It is no longer necessary for us to process your personal data;
- You have withdrawn your consent to us using your personal data, and there is no other valid reason for us to continue;
- The personal data has been processed unlawfully;
- It is necessary for the personal data to be erased in order for us to comply with our obligations under law; or
- You object to the processing and we are unable to demonstrate overriding legitimate grounds for our continued processing.
We would only be entitled to refuse to comply with your request for erasure in limited circumstances and we will always tell you our reason for doing so. When complying with a valid request for the erasure of personal data we will take all reasonably practicable steps to delete the relevant personal data.
(e) Right to restrict processing
You have the right to request that we restrict our processing of your personal data in certain circumstances, for example, if you dispute the accuracy of the personal data that we hold about you or you object to our processing of your personal data for our legitimate interests. If we have shared your personal data with third parties, we will notify them about the restricted processing unless this is impossible or involves disproportionate effort. We will, of course, notify you before lifting any restriction on processing your personal data.
(f) Right to rectification
You have the right to request that we rectify any inaccurate or incomplete personal data that we hold about you. If we have shared this personal data with third parties, we will notify them about the rectification unless this is impossible or involves disproportionate effort. You may also request details of the third parties that we have disclosed the inaccurate or incomplete personal data to. Where we think that it is reasonable for us not to comply with your request, we will explain our reasons for this decision.
(g) Right to data portability
You have the right to request to receive your personal data in a convenient form or request to transmit data between service providers, provided that: 1) the personal data is processed by automated means; 2) the personal data has been provided to us by the data subject; and 3) data processing is based on your consent, or the data is being processed to fulfil a contract or steps preparatory to a contract. In effect, this means that you are able to transfer the details we hold about you to another third party. To allow you to do so, we will provide you with your personal data in a commonly used machine-readable format so that you can transfer the personal data.
(h) Right to complain
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority.
Please be aware that we will obtain and retain information about the exercise of your rights, for example, your consent to and your withdrawal of consent to certain privacy terms subject hereto, and your request to delete the data we collect from you.
9. Third-party services
When you use some vivo products, services or apps, the personal data you share might be visible to other users and in some cases to search engines and the public, and it can be read, collected, used and retained by those other parties. You are responsible for the personal data you choose to share or submit.
vivo has implemented reasonable security measures to protect your personal data against loss, misuse, unauthorised access, alteration, disclosure or destruction, including but not limited to administrative, technical and physical measures. However, please note that although we have implemented these measures, there is no security measure that can guarantee the absolute safety and security of your information.
Below are some examples of data security measures we undertake:
- (a) Access control: establishing rules for access to personal data being processed in our information systems, and preventing any unauthorised access to premises where the information systems are located.
- (b) Risk assessment: identifying threats to the security of personal data before processing, and assessing the effectiveness of measures taken to ensure the security of personal data.
- (c) Desensitisation: using technical means to protect the information, including but not limited to encryption and de-identification techniques.
- (d) Processing records: recording all processing actions performed on personal data contained in our information systems.
- (e) Regular detection: detecting instances of unauthorised access to personal data and taking appropriate measures to mitigate the effects of such unauthorised access. Monitoring measures are taken to ensure the security of personal data and the level of protection of personal data information systems.
- (f) Restoration: taking all practicable measures to restore personal data which has been modified or destroyed as a result of unauthorised access.
11. Minors' privacy
None of vivo's services are intended for minors as defined by applicable laws. We do not knowingly collect personal data about minors via our services. We will only use or disclose minors' information if:
- (a) the parent or other legal representative of the minor has provided consent; or
- (b) there are other legal grounds as per applicable data protection laws.
If we accidentally collect a minor's personal data without verified prior consent from the child's parents, we will attempt to delete the data as soon as possible. If you believe a minor has provided personal data to us without parental/legal guardian consent, please Contact Us.
12. Storage and international transfer
To provide the same level of data protection as that of the user's country/region and to respond to users' requests more efficiently, the location where data is stored varies for users in different countries/regions. If you use our service in the European Economic Area, Andorra, Switzerland, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Monaco, Montenegro, Serbia, the United Kingdom, Colombia, Turkey, Australia, Peru and Israel, your personal data will be stored on our server located in Germany; if you use our service in Russia or India, your personal data will be stored on our server located in your country; if you use our service in other countries/regions, your personal data will be stored on our server located in Singapore.
- By way of a data transfer agreement with a third party, incorporating standard contractual clauses required by applicable law, to ensure that the third party protects your personal data; or
- Where it is necessary for the conclusion or performance of a contract between ourselves and you, or between ourselves and a third party, and the transfer is in your interests for the purposes of that contract (for example, if we need to transfer your data to a benefits provider based outside your country); or
- Where you have consented to the data transfer.
You may contact us at any time to request a copy of those agreements or standard contractual clauses.
13. Notification regarding updates
14. Contact us
(a) Data controller: vivo Mobile Communication Co., Ltd., registered at No. 1 vivo Road, Chang'an, Dongguan, Guangdong, China (email: email@example.com)
(b) Data Protection Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
(c) Data protection representative in the European Economic Area: vivo Tech GmbH, registered at Speditionstraße 21, 40221 Düsseldorf, Germany
For users using our services in Europe, if you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third-party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.