The unique partnership with ZEISS, and vivo's "Camera First" philosophy, continue transforming smartphone imaging in 2022
• Imaging partnership with ZEISS for optical excellence
• Joint R&D activities bring professional photography standards to the world of smartphones
• Gimbal camera and V1 Imaging Chip underlines the commitment to the perfect shot
At vivo, the camera always comes first, and that's why the company is committed to the perfect shot. It is one of the driving factors behind the company's own innovations and its strong R&D partnership with ZEISS – the pioneer in optics and optoelectronics. But it's no longer just about improving the hardware from one generation of devices to another. Just like in art, it's about the composition. In the case of mobile imaging, the well synchronized interaction of hardware and software will set the path for the perfect shot and so for the future of mobile imaging.
Milestones on the way to the perfect shot:
• The strategic imaging partnership with ZEISS is a central pillar in vivo's product development strategy. It combines the deep insights and know-how of vivo technicians and ZEISS engineers to co-create new product such as the latest X-series flagships. The companies established the vivo ZEISS Imaging Lab to undertake joint R&D activities and to bring the technologies and exacting high standards and certification processes of ZEISS to the world of smartphones.
• The vivo X60 Pro, as the first step in the efforts from these companies, integrates the user-oriented innovation of vivo, and the outstanding expertise in mobile imaging of ZEISS, to culminate exceptional camera software and hardware capabilities. The imaging system also enhances the results making pictures captures appear sharper, clearer, and brighter. Interestingly, the X60 Pro includes the classic ZEISS Biotar portrait style. The Biotar is a legendary ZEISS lens that has been a favourite amongst professional photographers for decades and is now adapted for mobile imaging. While the main subject is sharp and clear, the out-of-focus bokeh lens presents a vortex, resulting in a surreal portrait photography effect. Apart from all the amazing features of the X60 Pro, one aspect that stands out with this smartphone is the addition of Gimbal Stabilization 2.0. The feature stabilizes the image across four axes, allowing for cleaner and clearer motion photography.
• vivo X70 Pro, launched in Asia-Pacific markets, marks the next step as a device that has been produced to make consumer lives easier than before, and their relationship with the smartphone more fluid. The X70 Pro adds the ZEISS T* Coating to its camera lens. In simple words, the coating enhances the transmission rate of visible light, reduced reflections and ghost images, and accurately restores the colours of the subject. Thus it significantly improves the camera performance, .
• vivo has recently also announced the V1 Imaging Chip, which sheds light on mobile photography and video recording. This development is a result of vivo in-house efforts, with a team of 300 R&D experts working intensively over a period of 24 months. The V1 delivers the performance and speed required for advanced photo- and videography features, by combining built-in AI with improvements in speed and power consumption. vivo has also dedicated specific research into developing proprietary algorithms for challenges such as portraiture, night photography, capturing subjects in motion, video, and super-resolution image capture.
And the future remains exciting: vivo and ZEISS aim to take mobile imaging to greater heights with creations such as new portrait photography features or lens coating that makes glass "invisible." In addition, both companies are working on the implementation of glass lenses for better imaging performance, especially when it comes to high light transmittance, ultra-low dispersion, and strong thermal stability – all contributing factors to the quest for the perfect shot.
vivo launches its newest flagship in the UK, the X80 Pro
vivo mobile innovations – path to the "Perfect Shot"
vivo topped China's smartphone market in Q1 2022, according to Counterpoint
Mastering the Light: A look inside the vivo ZEISS Global Imaging Partnership
vivo launches its first foldable smartphone, the vivo X Fold
vivo to roll out Android 12 updates in Europe